Apples are the most cultivated fruit. Most of us do not know the actual benefits of apples. It is widely present all over the world and easily available at very reasonable prices. The famous proverb ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ is such a true as most of us do not know the actual benefits of apples. Perhaps easy availability is the reason of neglect.
Apples can be eaten as a fruit, or in the forms of fruit salads, apple juice is very nutritious but most of us considered apple juice as a diet for the sick people. Apple jams, jellies, sauce, apple murabba (Asian recipe), apple concentrate, apple cider vinegar have a wide range of nutritional values. They are also used in apple cake, pie, tart and in a many more ways.
Nutritional value of apples
Apples contain following nutritional components
- Rich amount of dietary fiber
- Vitamin c
- Vitamin a
- Vitamin b complex (riboflavin, thiamine, B 6)
- Minerals: calcium, potassium, phosphate
Benefits of eating apples
Eating apple affects almost all body systems. Some of the benefits from top to bottom are highlighted here…
- Apples are a good source of antioxidants which helps you against an aging process of the brain and improves your memory.
- Apples are proved very beneficial in brain degenerating diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- Antioxidants in apples helps in preventing and delaying the process of cataract
- Apple’s help in reducing cholesterol levels and thus improves heart health
- It also decreases aging process of blood vessels and thus decrease thickening of blood vessels and helps in blood pressure control.
- It also helps in increasing blood cell count and prevents anemia.
Apple’s help in improving respiratory problems and breathlessness.
It is also beneficial in asthma.
- Gastro intestine
- Apple’s help in oral hygiene and strengthen our teeth, apple cider vinegar in diluted form helps in whitening teeth.
- They have a rich amount of fiber that keeps your bowel healthy and helps you to combat with constipation and diseases like irritable bowel syndrome, a condition in which patiently suffers from constipation and diarrhea both.
- Apple vinegar cider in diluted forms helps in nausea and motion sickness.
- It is also useful to eat in conditions like hemorrhoids, a condition of painful swelling and bleeding of blood vessels of the anal canal.
- Liver and gall bladder
- The liver is the main organ that detoxifies all chemical, drugs, and toxins we ingest. Apple’s help the liver to detoxify these substances and improves liver health and its function.
- Apples also reduces risks of gallstone
- Skin and hair
- It gives moisture to the skin
- It lightens the skin tone making it even and brighter
- It prevents acne formation and lightens the dark spots and pigmentation on the skin.
- It also promotes hair growth and natural shine.
- Apple juice is also helpful in removing dandruff.
- Weight control
- Apple is a very good and complete fruit for dieting and weight control.
- Apple cider vinegar is helpful in reducing weight, it decreases cravings and overeating.
- Immune system
- Apples boost our immune systems and prevent recurrent bacterial and seasonal viral illnesses.
- Anti-cancer agents
- It contains anti- cancer agent and helpful in preventing and cure of cancers of skin and bowel.
A doctor’s advice…
- It is recommended to eat 5 apples per week.
- If you are dieting and want to lose your weight eating 3 apples a day is sufficient.
- Apples should not be eaten at night as they can cause problems in digestion and disturb your sleep.
- Apple seeds contain cyanides but it is present in such a little quantity that is not hazardous but you should avoid eating seeds.
- Wash apples with water very well before you eat them because so pesticides that can harm you.